When we lived in New Jersey, I loved the end of August because the summer heat and wild thunderstorms started to give way to cool evenings and you just knew that fall was coming. Southern California weather is the complete opposite! August is when things really start to heat up, and by September we're seeing triple-digit heat you just know won't break before Halloween.
And yet, fall is still my absolute favorite season. We've just passed the middle of August and I'm looking longingly at that new canister of chai tea in the cupboard and dreaming of all the sweaters I'm going to cast on. The leaves won't change until Thanksgiving, but I'll be wearing scarves and sweaters and maybe even some handknit socks long before then, just waiting for the first sign that fall is finally here.
So it's no wonder the studio is a flurry of activity! Here's a sneak peak at what's happening right now, and what's in the works:
- The Yarnover Truck has been hosting a trunk show that started at the Knit & Crochet Show in San Diego last month. In addition to their regular stock of Pride, Pride Lace, and Superstition, they're showcasing a rainbow of favorite colorways in Fortitude and Justice. Pictured below is Fortitude in Strawberry Cupcake, Smoke Signal, Strawberry Jam, Little Women, and Illium!
- Yarning For You in San Marcos, CA is hosting a trunk show, too! Three huge boxes of Envy, Pride, Charity, Wrath, Gluttony, and Sloth just arrived in the store this week, and will be there through Saturday, September 5th. Charity is a brand new fingering weight single in scrumptious superwash merino, and Yarning For You customers have the first peek! I'll be in store on Saturday, August 29th from 10am to 2pm for a knit-along. I'm so excited!
- Jennie's Yarn Shop in Medford, OR is celebrating her first anniversary! They hosted a Forbidden Woolery trunk show at their grand opening, and I was so excited when Jennie asked me to be a part of her anniversary extravaganza. We'll be sending lots of Pride, Justice, and Gluttony to help with the celebrations.
- The San Diego Yarn Crawl is September 17th through the 20th, and Ramona Country Yarn will be hosting Forbidden Woolery yarns all weekend! We'll be sending lots of favorite colorways in Whisper, Hope, Virtue, Pride, and Wrath. Virtue is another new yarn - a non-superwash merino sportweight yarn that's perfect for lightweight sweaters and accessories. I grew up in Ramona and it's so much fun to visit Connie and her fabulous new store in the heart of downtown. And especially to have lunch at my most favorite restaurant of all time, La Cocina, which just happens to be right across the street. I'm also looking forward to the sneak preview of something Connie and I have in the works for later this fall. More details to come as it starts to shape up!
- Yarnosphere is happening in Long Beach, CA October 17th and 18th, and Forbidden Woolery will be there for the first time! It's so exciting to participate in all the fiber festivals popping up in southern CA and I can't wait for this show in particular. I'll be debuting a new yarn I've been working on nonstop since Stitches West in February. It has challenged everything I know about yarn and dyeing, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Stay tuned for more information!
- In November we're teaming back up with Jennie's Yarn Shop and Ramona Country Yarn for some exciting things! Revelations 2, Forbidden Woolery's second pattern collection, will also be published. The original Revelations focused on accessories, and Revelations 2 will have beautiful new sweater and vest patterns to celebrate the season.
Like I said, it's a flurry of activity! But I'm always up for more. If it has to do with yarn and color, I can't get enough! If you have a favorite yarn store and want to see a Forbidden Woolery trunk show near you, have your yarn store contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Putting together specialized trunk shows and events is so much fun, and I would love to dream something up for you!